Monday, December 12, 2016

More Christmas Sewing Finished

I finished my son's Flannel Shirt today and it turned out really well.  Making the shirt was time consuming but lots of fun.  I purchased the fabric at this link (Fabric.com) and it's Robert Kaufman's Flannel.  I used McCall's M6613, View C, with only one pocket since that's what my son requested.

  • After I washed the shirt yesterday, it actually made the fabric "better".  (Before sewing the buttonholes & buttons on today.) It seemed to make it more dense without shrinkage.
  • I let it hang dry after using the delicate cycle in my front load washing machine.  

I also added a tab inside the shirt so can be hung on a hook (you can see in photo 2).  Here's the directions if you're interested.  You can do this to almost any sewing project that can be hung too.

  • Just take a scrap of fabric, on the bias and cut it about 1 - ½" wide, 
  • then, fold it over twice, with raw edge showing.  
  • Sew the strip with a tight zig-zag stitch,
  • Cut to length you would like,  
  • Fold it under on both sides and zig-zag to the collar.  (The  collar is sturdy enough for this too.)

My son requested wooden buttons and I think they look great.


Well, now it's back to knitting my son Allen's "The Force Awakens" hat for one of his Christmas presents.  I really need to get it done by Thursday if I can to mail to him.  Wish me luck!

Happy Stitching, Knitting and Sewing everyone....

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is pretty awesome, making a shirt like this. Hats off!! It looks great and must be great to wear too.
    Good luck with the knitting! We're busy before Christmas ;)

    ReplyDelete